With so many companies operating large volumes of business-critical data, its protection has become a hot topic over the last few years. Companies are wondering where to start when searching for ideal IT options and backup solutions, and it’s hardly a secret that the concepts of cloud and cloud backup are among the hottest discussion topics both in board rooms and IT departments around the globe.
What is cloud backup?
Cloud backup is another name for online backup, which is a backup strategy that involves sending a copy of the data via the internet to secure storage. The storage is usually hosted by an outsourced service provider, who backs up and restores the data on your behalf. Depending on the backup software used and the level of customisation, the properties and schedules of backups are determined. Applications used with cloud backup can automatically collect, compress, encypt and transfer the data to a secure on-site or offsite vault. After an initial backup of all the designated business data, incremental backups reduce backup time and the amount of consumed bandwith, freeing up resources.
Why is cloud backup an optimal option?
Organisations sometimes hesitate with moving all their data and applications to the cloud, from fear of sending their intellectual property online. This fear is quickly abated when the backup is encrypted using military-grade encryption and the encryption key belongs only to the owner of the data. The data cannot be accessed without this key. Combined with a Tier 1 data centre storage facility with state-of-the-art biometric security, it becomes easier for a stranger to rob a bank than access your data!
The principles of cloud backup are outstanding, and an improvement on legacy solutions. Automated backups that require no user intervention and easy-to-use software help businesses achieve greater capacity and equipment utilisation, while securing an ease of access and a great level of control from any location. Another major benefit of cloud backup is sheer convenience. With cloud backup, there is no need for additional hardware and IT staff to handle the backups. Finally, cloud backup is superior to existing tape backup solutions insofar it provides a greater level of security, as the data is backed up to a (remote) server, as opposed to being kept on tape. This also makes for quicker and more efficient restores. Compared to existing backup solutions, cloud backup saves time, money, and resources.
Hybrid cloud backup as a superior solution
In addition to all the advantages of cloud backup, hybrid cloud backup imposes itself as a superior solution, as it provides “double protection”. With hybrid cloud backup, local backup and restores are made to an on-site vault, while replications of the data are also sent to a secondary and/or tertiary and/or any number of offsite locations, ensuring maximum protection and data availability. In brief, by moving to the cloud and by choosing hybrid cloud backup, your company will obtain numerous advantages, including:
- Switching from a cumbersome, time and resource-consuming procedure to an automated and far simpler process
- Cloud backup provides virtually unlimited scalability, which is a plus for fast-growing, young companies, which can sometimes double in size in a matter of months
- Hybrid cloud backup is inherently more secure and reliable, since you have the option of backing up your data to multiple locations, all of which employ military-grade encryption
- Cloud backup ensures business continuity – in the age when any downtime could mean significant and sometimes irrecuperable losses, by using cloud backup, downtime will be minimised
- Cloud backup is resource-light; it addresses the same function tape and media backup does, but it’s better and more effective. It doesn’t impact computing or server operations and makes life easier for your IT staff, since it is much easier to operate
- Finally, it’s cheaper – with cloud backup, there are no capital expenditures or any major investments in hardware and software
In conclusion, while cloud backup is the future, offering many improvements in relation to obsolete backup solutions, hybrid cloud backup is a true leap forward and the best solution to help you sleep easier at night.